Bylaws of the
National Middle Level Science Teachers Association
A handbook of operating Policies and Procedures (also to be known as the Handbook) shall be written and distributed by the Executive Team to all members of the Board of Directors in either digital or print formal. This Handbook will be distributed prior to the fall meeting of said Board and will include the NMLSTA Constitution, NMLSTA Bylaws, contact information for board members, meeting dates, membership form, list of current membership, and budget. From time to time, as deemed appropriate by the Executive Team, a temporary committee may be formed to update the Handbook.
Article II ~ Membership
A. Active, Life, and Retired Members; Honorary, Institutional and Student Members of NMLSTA; shall be entitled to vote, hold office, act as elected representatives, and serve on the Board of Directors.
B. All Members in good standing shall enjoy those services described in the Constitution, Bylaws, and Handbook
A. The current dues for each category of membership shall be stated in the Handbook and other appropriate publications such as the NMLSTA website and on the Membership Application Form.
B. Changes in membership dues shall be made as follows
Article III ~ Officers, Representatives, and Elected or Appointed Members of the Board of Directors1. A proposal to change the dues shall be brought before the Board of Directors for its consideration.
2. A vote of approval by the board of Directors is necessary to effect any change in dues.
3. The proposed change in dues shall then be announced to the Membership via a newsletter or email.
4. The Membership will be given a minimum of one month in which to react to the proposed change by communicating with any member of the Board of Directors.
5. A motion to accept the proposed change in dues will be made at a meeting of the Board of Directors prior to the Annual Meeting. This motion shall be approved by a majority vote of said Board.
6. Any change in dues shall take effect at the Annual Meeting.
All elected or appointed positions are for a term of three consecutive years beginning during the NSTA National Conference occurring immediately following the election or appointment. Officers may hold their position for one term and Elected Board members may serve two consecutive terms.
A. Anyone who has been a member of NMLSTA for three years in good standing can be a nominee for President-elect, the first-year office of the presidential chain.
B. All Officers must be Members in good standing at the time of nomination.
All officers report to the Board of Directors.
A. The President shall:
1. Preside at the meetings of the Board of Directors, the Executive Committee, and the Annual Membership Meeting, expediting the business of the Association in every way compatible with the rights of those assembled and within the appropriate rules of order.
2. Call special meetings as required.
3. Be responsible for seeing that all actions of the Board of Directors are fully executed and be responsible for the administration of the activities of the members of the Board of Directors.
4. Appoint chairpersons and members of all committees except the Elections Committee.
5. Appoint individuals to fill all vacant positions not filled by the election process of succession.
6. Serve on the Budget Committee.
7. Provide leadership for the Executive Team.
8. Create ad hoc and standing committees as deemed necessary.
9. Serve as an ex officio member of all committees except for the Elections Committee.
10. Submit a written annual report to the Membership at the Annual Meeting of the Membership and communicate said report via email or NMLSTA publication.
11. Be responsible for contacts between NMLSTA and other organizations and individuals interested in middle level science education.
12. Attend all public functions of NMLSTA or appoint another member of the Board of Directors to attend.
13. In the event the Secretary is not able to attend a meeting, prior to calling the meeting to order, designate a member of the Board of Directors to act as Secretary for the duration of the meeting.
14. Attend the NSTA Summer Congress as the NMLSTA representative. In the event that the President of NMLSTA is also a member of the NSTA Board of Directors, the NMLSTA President-elect shall represent NMLSTA.
15. Perform the duties defined in the adopted parliamentary authority.
16. Secure the necessary information of passwords, information queries, account numbers from the various committees, Treasurer, and Chairs of any ad hoc committees.
B. The President-elect shall:
1. Assist the President as appropriate and necessary.
2. Chair the Budget Committee.
3. Assist in the leadership of the Executive Team.
4. Assume the duties of the President when necessary.
C. The Immediate Past President shall:1. Act in an advisory capacity to the President.
2. Chair the Election Committee.
3. Serve on the Executive Team.
4. Serve as an advocate for the NMLSTA with the public and supporters of NMLSTA.
D. The Secretary shall:
1. Prepare and submit minutes within thirty days to the President for distribution to the Board of Directors for its revision and approval. Within 30 days
2. Maintain and keep readily accessible a record of the minutes of all meetings of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee.
3. File a copy of the minutes into the digital archives.
4. Serve on the Executive Team.
5. Transcribe the minutes in proper formatting taken by a Secretary pro temp.
6. Compile an on-going account of attendance of members of the Board of Directors and its meetings, as recorded in the minutes)
7. Be responsible for recording events using a virtual calendar which include dates of all the meetings, committee functions, activities of Association and Affiliates, and other events of importance to the Association
8. Provide a directory of the home and work addresses and telephone numbers of all members of the Board of Directors for inclusion in the Handbook.
9. Maintain all official NMLSTA archives filed chronologically and assume other duties as the President shall specify.
10. Work with the Technology and Communication Chairperson to update Google for Nonprofits Board list.
E. The Treasurer shall:
Section 3: Duties of the Executive Team1. Receive moneys and keep and continuous and complete record of the finances of the Association.
2. Pay all bills as budgeted and authorized by the Board of Directors in a timely manner.
3. Prepare and present an updated Treasurer Report at each meeting of the Board of Directors and at any other time as requested by the President.
4. Submit an Annual Financial Report to the President for inclusion in the Annual Report.
5. Provide Officers and committee Chairs with information concerning previous expenditures.
6. Serve on the Budget, and Executive Team.
7. Be a non-voting member of the Audit Committee and have the responsibility of ensuring the distribution of the Committee’s report to the Membership.
8. Prepare reports to governmental agencies, as appropriate and required.
A. The Executive Team shall be responsible for the formation of long-range goals and objectives, and it shall recommend procedures for implementing and facilitating such goals and objectives.
B.. The Executive Team shall meet following the installation of new officers after the NSTA national conference preferably in May or June; and subsequently throughout the year for continued planning and meetings with various Committee Chairs
C. At the first meeting, the Executive Team will:
1. Develop a plan of action for the upcoming year, made available to and voted on by the Board of Directors.
2. Plan a tentative schedule of brief meetings for said team to meet with the Chairpersons of the various Standing Committees which will be done electronically or by phone conference.
3. Review and update the Handbook
4. If necessary, act in lieu of the Budget committee to develop a budget for the new fiscal year (starting July 1).
E. At subsequent meetings, the Executive Team will1. If necessary, act in lieu of the Audit committee to review financial records of the Association and prepare a report for the Board of Directors
2. Meet individually, electronically, with the Chairpersons of the following committees to review tasks and create a timeline that will be shared on the electronic calendar:F. Executive Team cannot modify any action taken by the Board.a. Awards Committee
b. Membership Committee
c. Conference and Workshop Committee
d. Technology and Communication Committee
G. The Executive Team shall review and oversee the legal obligations of the Association, especially those pertaining to insurance coverage, incorporation, and employment.
H. The Executive Team will work with the Program Coordinator to ensure all aspects of NSTA/NMLSTA conference activities are covered by board members and general members.
In the event of the death, resignation, or incapacitation of an officer of the Association this succession procedure shall be followed, as stated for each office.
A. President ~ The President-elect shall assume the office of President for the remainder of the unexpired term of office which the President being replaced would normally have served. The President-elect would then meet the responsibilities of both offices and serve as President during their regular term.
B. President-elect ~ The Immediate Past President shall assume the office of President-elect until the Board can take necessary steps to fill the position.
C. Treasurer ~ The President will appoint an interim Treasurer to serve in that position for the remainder of the unexpired term of office. The President will submit the appointment for approval by the Board of Directors.
D. Secretary ~ The President will appoint an interim Secretary to serve in that position for the remainder of the unexpired term of office. The President will submit the appointment for approval by the Board of Directors.
E. Immediate Past President ~ The President shall appoint a Past President to complete the term of office.
F. In the event of a simultaneous death, resignation, or incapacitation of two or more of the officers of NMLSTA, the Board of Directors shall assume the responsibility for filling the officers’ positions in the most appropriate manner, such as new appointments made by the board and/or reassignment of current board members after seeking the recommendation of the Elections Committee.
All duly elected Directors shall:
A. Serve as the primary liaison between the Membership and the Board of Directors and Committees.
B. Attend all meetings of the Board of Directors, if unable to attend will contact the president.
C. Actively promote membership in the NMLSTA.
D. Actively serve on Committees as determined by the President.
E. Promote middle level science education through active involvement in other organizations and activities.
F. Submit written reports of their activities (specified in A-E above) to the President for inclusion in the Annual Report.
G. Assume other such duties as the Board of Directors shall specify.
A. Procedure for becoming an Associate or Affiliate Group.
1. The President of the organization seeking NMLSTA Affiliate of Associate status will provide a letter of request to the NMLSTA President.
2. Appended to this letter must be the following documentation: a Constitution, Bylaws, and/or other documents and publications; and a signed agreement of protective exclusion.
3. Upon receipt of this letter and complete documentation, the NMLSTA President shall present the petition to the Executive Committee which shall present it to the Board of Directors for approval at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
4. The President will inform the petitioning organization of the outcome and classification designation.
5. In the case of denial, the rationale for refusal will be outlined to the petitioning group.
6. A group which has been denied Associate or Affiliate status may resubmit after the period of one year to the NMLSTA.
7. An Associate or Affiliate Group may change its status by following the procedure or description herein.
B. Terminating the relationship.1. The President or appropriate individual of an Affiliate or Associate Group may discontinue its relationship with the NMLSTA at any time by submitting a registered letter to the NMLSTA President citing the Group’s decision to initiate separation procedure.C. The Associate and Affiliate Group Representatives shall sit on the NMLSTA Board of Directors and shall act as liaison between the NMLSTA and their organizations and shall assume other such duties as the President shall specify.
2. The NMLSTA may conclude an Associate or Affiliate relationship upon majority approval by the Board of Directors. The NMLSTA President shall submit a registered letter to the Group President or appropriate designee citing the decision of the Board and reasons for such action.
3. Separation shall take place at the end of the NMLSTA fiscal year and after all mutual financial debts and obligations have been met.
All appointments shall be for a three-year term, with the possibility of reappointment. Attendance at NMLSTA Board Meetings is expected.
A. The Alliance of Affiliates (AoA) Representative shall:
1. Attend the Summer meeting of the AoA held in conjunction with the National Congress on Science Education.B. The Awards Chairperson shall:
2. Attend conference calls as determined by the AoA chairperson.
3. Actively take part in the activities of the AoA.
4 Submit reports to the AoA leadership twice each year—dates determined by NSTA. The reports must be approved by the NMSLTA Executive Team representative prior to submitting to AoA,1. Create promotional materials and revise the Award application as needed.C. The Membership Chairperson shall:
2. Collect applications for all NMSLTA Awards.
3. Arrange for a committee of no less than three outstanding educators who will evaluate the applications and select award winner(s). Selection committee must consist of at least one active middle school teacher.
4. Communicate with award sponsor to ensure that award recipients receive the award.
5. Provide an annual written report to the Executive Team representative prior to the annual meeting during the NSTA National Conference.1. Chair the Membership Committee.D. The NSTA Middle Level Teaching Committee Representative shall:
2. Initiate, organize, and coordinate activities to promote membership in the Association.
3. Prepare and update Membership Application Form to be placed on the Website and printed if necessary.
4. Receive all dues and membership forms and transfer dues to the Treasurer in a timely manner and oversee the electronic membership list and dues payment.
5. Maintain an accurate list of all members of the Association.
6. Maintain a list of NMLSTA Affiliate and Associate Groups if necessary.
7. Coordinate membership activities with Affiliate, Associates, and other groups as directed by the Board of Directors.
8. Assume other duties as the President shall specify.
9. Provide an annual written report to the Executive Team.1. Attend the meeting of the Middle Level Teaching Committee at the NSTA National Conference.E. The Program Coordinator shall
2. Attend conference calls as determined by the Middle Level Division Director.
3. Communicate and actively work with the Middle Level Division Director to promote the mission of NMLSTA.
4. Provide an annual written report to the Executive team representative prior to the annual NMLSTA meeting during the NSTA National Conference.1. Serve as Chair of the Conference and Workshop Committee.F. The Technology and Communications Chairperson shall:
2. Act as liaison between NMLSTA and NSTA for scheduling NMLSTA workshops and meetings to be held at each fall NSTA conference.
3. Act as liaison between NMLSTA and NSTA for scheduling NMLSTA workshops and meetings held at the National NSTA conference.
4. Arrange for a Conference Committee made up of a minimum of 3 NMLSTA members who will assist in the planning of NMLSTA-sponsored conference events.
5. Work with the Conference Committee to create a conference budget that itemizes how available sponsor monies will be spent and submit said budget to the Executive Team for board approval.
6. Work with the Conference Committee to purchase necessary items utilizing any available sponsor monies.
7. Work with the Conference Committee and NSTA to develop sponsorship opportunities for NMLSTA/NSTA conference activities.
8. Provide an annual written report to the Executive Team at the annual meeting during the NSTA National Conference.
1. Chair the Technology and Communications Committee.
2. Oversee all technology and electronic communication.
3. Administer the Board of Directors’ Shared Google Drive.
4. Maintain a concise and engaging website homepage, including but not limited to announcements, seasonal greetings, and general information about NMLSTA. The homepage should also include a link for members only and public links to other information, activities, conferences, and board meeting minutes
5. Ensure that communications are appropriate for supporting and promoting middle level science teachers and teaching.
6. Coordinate with the Chairperson of Elections, the Presidents, and any other individuals, as necessary, related to Elections, Leaders, Bylaws, and Constitution.
7. Maintain the Board of Directors page with current board members, contact information and optional photos.
8, Work with the Awards Chair to maintain Classroom Teacher Award and Hurd Award announcements, including the application process and timeline and the winners, as well as promotions, for example, Opportunity Drawings.
9. Work with the Program Coordinator to maintain current announcements for events; including but not limited to the NSTA Fall Conference member presentations, the webinar series, and other events in conjunction with the NSTA.
10. Maintain the social media portion of the website in coordination with the Social Media Coordinator.
11. Maintain the Sponsors/Partners portion of the webpage in coordination with the President and/or Program Chair.
12. Oversee other technology and publications or other duties as deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors.
13. Provide an annual written report to the Executive Team of NMLSTA prior to the annual meeting during the NSTA National Conference.
G. The Science Scope Advisory Board Representative shall:1. Attend the Science Scope Advisory Board meeting held at the NSTA National Conference.
2. Actively take part in Science Scope Advisory Board activities.
3. Attend conference calls as determined by the Advisory Board Chairperson.
4. Provide an annual written report to the Executive Team representative prior to the annual NMLSTA meeting during the NSTA National Conference.
Article IV ~ Meetings of the Board of Directors
A. The Board of Directors shall meet no less than two times a year to determine the policies of the Association. The Board shall have a general charge and responsibility for the affairs of the Association. Activity reports for all committees and officers will be reviewed during these meetings.1. Board meetings will be held electronically throughout the year as deemed necessary by the Executive team.
2. Two additional face to face meetings will be held in conjunction with the National Science Teachers Association National Conference in the spring.i. The first of these two Board Meetings will cover unfinished business and will be conducted by the current President with the voting members of the Board being those whose terms of office spanned the previous year. It will also serve as a concluding Board Meeting for members whose terms are over and,
ii. The second Board Meeting will be an open meeting to which all NMLSTA members are invited. It is conducted by the new President and include the newly elected officers and Board members as well as the continuing officers and board members. This Annual Membership meeting will deal with new business and budget. Voting members of the Board for this second meeting will be the newly elected officers and directors, as well as, those serving a continuing term.3. If there will not be a quorum at the NSTA National Conference, the meeting will consist of an online meeting or conference call or online meeting at a later time.B. A quorum of the Board of Directors shall consist of a majority of the voting members.
C. All Board of Directors meetings shall be open to the Membership. Members attend on a non- voting basis. The President may invite other guests to attend meetings of the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors shall have authority, but is not required to exercise its authority, to declare vacant the office of any director who shall be absent from three consecutive meetings.
If a board member knows he or she will be absent, the President should be notified prior the meeting.
A. All Board Members (both elected and appointed) are expected to attend all meetings (whether electronic, conference call, or face to face) of the Board.
B. By two-thirds vote, Board Members shall approve the President’s appointment of individuals to all vacant positions, not filled by the election process or process of succession.
C. All Board Members shall serve on a minimum of one NMLSTA Committee.
D. All Board Members have a fiduciary responsibility to work on behalf of the membership of NMLSTA.
E. All Board Members shall submit budget proposals before May 30th of a given year as appropriate.
Article VI ~ Quorum and Electronic Voting
A. A quorum of the Board of Directors and all Committees shall consist of a majority of its voting members. If a quorum of the voting members is not present at a meeting, no action can be taken.
B. An electronic vote via email may be used to authorize an action by the Board of Directors and/or a Committee after an appropriate motion and second are made and time for discussion is allowed.
1. For the vote to be valid, a quorum must respond to the sender within a time limit of three days of the email being sent, or within the period of time designated.
2. The designated sender will then report to the board the final results via email and the Secretary will record the information in the Archives.
Article VII~ Standing Committees
A. Audit Committee.1. The Audit Committee shall consist of three members of the Board, one of whom shall be a member of the Executive Team, other than the Treasurer. The Treasurer is a non- voting, ex officio member of this committee.B. Awards Committee.
2. This Committee shall convene upon the close of the fiscal year.
3. The duty of this Committee shall be to review all financial records of the Association and to present a financial report to the Board of Directors at its fall meeting.1. The Awards Committee shall consist of the Awards Chair and a maximum of three additional members may be appointed to this committee by the President. At least one member must be an active middle school teacher.
2. This committee shall meet as appropriate and necessary.
3. The duties of this committee are to include:C. Budget Committee.a. Identifying ways in which the awards program can be enhanced.
b. Determining appropriate ways in which to advertise the award.
c. Providing support and advice to the chair of each award.
d. Generally improving the NMLSTA Awards Program, by seeking out sponsorships for additional award, finding new venues to publicize awards.1. The Budget Committee is chaired by the President and shall consist of the Executive Team and any others deemed appropriate.D. Elections Committee.
2. The Budget Committee must receive all proposed expenditures from all appropriate committees and individuals before the end of the fiscal year (June 30)
3. The Committee shall submit to Board of Directors a proposed budget for the Association before the end of the fiscal year (June 30). After approval of the Board of Directors the budget will be included in the NMLSTA handbook.1. Elections Committee shall be chaired by the immediate Past President and if needed two additional members to be selected from the Board of Directors. The appointment of the two Board members as found necessary by the Executive team. Neither the President nor the President-elect may serve on this committee.2. The Elections Committee shall:E. Conference and Workshops Committeea. Publicize upcoming vacancies on the Board of Directors on the NMLSTA website.
b. Notify all candidates who have been nominated and seek their acceptance in writing.
c. Prepare a slate of candidates for each position on the Board of Directors which needs to be filled and post it on the members only part of the website.d. Send the slate to the membership via email with a link to an electronic ballot. This ballot should remain available for a specified amount of time—no less than two weeks, no more than one month.
e. Tally the votes and announce the results of the election to the Board of Directors and the Membership via a newsletter or email announcement.
f. Any tie vote shall be resolved by a secret ballot of the Board of Directors.1. The chairperson of Conference and Workshops Committee shall be the Program Coordinator and may consist of at least four members appointed by the President.F. Membership Committee.
2. This Committee is a working committee involved in the creation, development, and evaluation of conferences and workshops. This may be done in conjunction with other organizations interested in the enhancement of middle level teaching.1. The Membership Chair shall chair the Membership Committee and shall consist of other individuals at the discretion of said Chair.G. Technology and Communications Committee
2. The Membership Committee shall:a. Assist the Membership Chair as appropriate.
b. Work with the Chapters and Associated Groups of the National Science Teachers Association to improve membership services and increase membership.
c. Design programs and materials to encourage the development of NMLSTA at the state and local levels.
d. Coordinate the dissemination of materials to Chapters and Associated Groups of the National Science Teachers Association.
e. Assume other duties as the President shall specify.1. The Technology and Communications Committee shall make general recommendations to the Board of Directors regarding the NMLSTA policy in the areas of technology and publications.
2. The Technology and Communications Committee shall be chaired by the Technology and Communications Chairperson and consist of at least the Membership Chairperson, Program Coordinator, Awards Chairperson, and the Content Editors indicated in numbers 5-9 below, each responsible for the items indicated.
3. Program Coordinator shall work with the T & C Chairperson to promote programs developed by the NMLSTA, such as webinars or other activities and NSTA National and Regional Conference presentations by and for NMLSTA members.
4. Awards Chairperson shall work with the T & C Chairperson to promote the Classroom Teacher Awards and Hurd Awards, including applications, timeline, and publicizing winners. This Chairperson will also work with the T & C Chairperson to publicize promotions, for example, Opportunity Drawings.
5. Membership Resources Page Editor shall maintain the Members Only pages of the website, including resources, recordings, lessons, etc. This editor will work with the Award Chairperson to maintain the Classroom Teacher Award information and application and Hurd Award information and application. This editor will work with the Program Coordinator to update webinar recordings and with the Membership Chairperson as needed.
6. Newsletter Editor shall create and send newsletters as required to publicize awards, elections, events, promotions, etc.
7. Social Media Coordinator shall maintain NMLSTA’s cohesive presence on social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, webpage, blog page, etc.
8. Forum Editor shall monitor the forum for content, appropriateness, and currency.
9. Photographs Editor shall update and maintain photographs on the website, annually at a minimum.
Article VIII ~ Amendments
These Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors. The Membership shall be informed of any proposed changes at least four weeks prior to a vote to amend the Bylaws.
Amended Bylaws will be published on the NMLSTA website immediately following adoption by the Board of Directors.
The Bylaws were adopted February 1, 1995; and have been previously amended on March 24, 1999; Article VI: Quorum January 15, 2008; January 2014, and November 13, 2017.
The current Bylaws were amended on September 12, 2021.(Article III Section 7F and Article VII G).